4th grade poetry
current music: sleater-kinney - wilderness
"the book"
You sit on the shelf
feeling sorry for yourself.
You call out "Read me! I can't stand it here!"
And I feel so queer
when the reader comes
with his choice
and becomes
stuck in the book
without even a look
at that book
that was
stuck on the shelf
all alone by itself.
If a reader comes along
with no sense of right or wrong
and doesn't take one look at you
do you take it personally
Do you do something diversionally
to get his attention?
You sit on the shelf
all by yourself,
bursting with anxiety
the only lonely one
in the society.
But when you can't wait to be read
and you're mentally brain dead
along comes a bright young man looking for a book.
and with one look
You call out in your mind "Read me!"
He takes you off
and reads you.
***
"Hail"
Hail to the flag,
tangled up in
scarlet and
ivory stripes,
navy and milky stars,
waving in the azure sky
full of shimmering pearl stars.
Cardinal, royal, snowy flag,
flapping in the
tawny sun.
I salute you,
wine and sky,
forever I will,
but now,
good-bye.
***
"The Reflection of Myself"
The reflection
of my
self
in the pond
near the
Tree
on the street
that I live on,
is so
incredibly
beautiful
I had to
bend down
and kiss it.
The pond
near the tree
on the street
that I live on
looks so
incredibly fun
That I had to
swim
in it.
***
"Journey of a Poem"
the words
process in my brain
walk through my arm
out my slightly feeble ahnd
and float on the paper.
the words keep flowing
until I'm
"done"
and show it someone
the words
dance through the eyes
and glide to the brain
turn into feedback
and trek out the mouth/
the words soar through the air
like an eagle in the wind
lumber in my ears
roam my brain
and out sneaks
a smile
that doesn't always show.
***
Dear Reader,
It has occured to me
you are about to read the book
that I
have written.
I have spent time
writing,
and the crime
of nails
being
bitten.
I am
happy
to know
I am
to show
my time
and effort
to you,
so enjoy the ride,
since I
How tried,
to entertain
me too.
Thank you,
Reader,
For reading my book.
For you
are just
reading,
not stelaing
like a crook.
I am the penman,
you are the book-biter.
Sincerely yours,
The Writer.
***
"Me and the computer"
I stare
at the screen
Fun
and entertainment.
Beeping,
the computer amuses me.
Me,
the computer addict
and them,
my e-pals.
talk together,
socialize.
For and hour,
or more,
I stay.
staying,
not wanting it to end.
it ends.
When it ends,
I end.
Computer,
I own you. Goodbye
Goodbye fun and games
Goodbye dear friends.
Goodbye beeping.
Goodbye sleeping.
Goodbye.
***
"Soda"
Fizz
Pop
Snap
It sizzles although ice-cold
Bubble
Buzz
Bark
It's sugar
up in a straw it's rolled.
***